Why hello there world! We’re back at basecamp for a day or two, waiting out high winds and resting up to get ready for a summit attempt on the 11th or 12.  We’ve left all of our gear and tents up at Nido de Condores, which is the ultimate insurance to guarantee that we won’t just succumb to the luxuries of properly oxygenated air and hike out to Mendoza early to trade summit chances for a day of wine tasting.  

settling in for the night at Camp Canada 

settling in for the night at Camp Canada 

There have been varying degrees of suffering among the team: Libby is going strong all around and Kristina is finally on the mend, but Teresa and Sunny are now both dealing with congestion and nasty coughs.  The plan now is for Kristina and Libby to head back up to Nido tomorrow, take a rest day and then be in position for a summit bid on Jan 11. Teresa and Sunny are going to spend an extra night at basecamp, then join the team in Nido on Jan 10 and - depending on recovery and overall energy levels - potentially try for the summit on Jan 11 or Jan 12.  We’ve been making smart and conservative decisions all along and will continue to do so.  

Rest day living ain't so bad. (though this was "only" at 16,500ft)

Rest day living ain't so bad. (though this was "only" at 16,500ft)

In the meantime if you’re curious about what it feels like to camp at Nido (~18,200ft)… here’s how Kristina described it the other day:  

Plug your nose, wrap a pillow around your face, put on 3-4 layers of clothing, strap a fan, no 2-3 fans to your head so they blow directly in your face and then take a plastic bag and go shit by a rock in your yard.  

Seems like a pretty accurate assessment to me :) lotsa new experiences and type II fun for everyone, but we continue to have a blast together as a team. Wish us luck and send big energy for the next few days!  

6 Comments