“International Flight Number 8244 from Mendoza to Los Angeles, FINAL BOARDING. Paging customers Elizabeth Sauter and Suzanne Stroeer. We are now closing the boarding door.”

At least, I imagine that’s what they said when Sunny and I didn’t show up for our flights back home this morning.

Such much stoke... Libby and John at the trailhead after our most recent go (which we thought was going to be the last!) 

Such much stoke... Libby and John at the trailhead after our most recent go (which we thought was going to be the last!) 

The last few days in Mendoza have been tumultuous. Should we stay and give the mountain another go? The weather has been terrible up there. I (Libby) have a cold and cough. We’ve already spent so much time, money, sweat, tears and effort up there. But on the flip side, we’ve already spent weeks getting acclimated and familiar with the trails. The locals on the mountain have encouraged us to give it another go with their logistical help. Coming back next year would be even more expensive…

We agonized. We debated. One minute we were packing to go home. The next, we were definitely staying. Our decision flip flopped like a fish in a dried up stream.

But in the end, with the generous and unwavering support of adidas Outdoor, we realized the regret and the unexplored outcome of a team attempt would torment us more than the ensuing dent to our bank accounts.

So, there it is. We are going back in. Tomorrow (Sunday), we head back to the trailhead and will hike into Confluencia. Monday will have us at Base Camp. Tuesday and Wednesday will be spent setting up our aid station at Camp Two, Nido. From there, we come back out of the park to rest at the trailhead for a few days until we see a good weather window.

The #cardiocrawl effort continues!

This says it all. 

This says it all. 

5 Comments